Quotation from Theodor Herzl “I have just come from Plehve … he will effectuate for us a charter for Palestine” — Aug. 1903
Talking about his meeting with the Russian pogromist Viatcheslav Plehve. According to the remarks reported by Herzl to Chaim Zhitlovsky, who rejected these conditions.
- Herzl, Theodor (1860-1904) ( 24 quotations )
- Zionism as a solution to the "Jewish question" ( 50 quotations )
- Antisemitic sympathies for Zionism ( 22 quotations )
- Zionism allied with reactionary states ( 22 quotations )
- No Zionism without colonialist protectors ( 38 quotations )
" I have just come from Plehve. I have his positive, binding promise that in 15 years, at the maximum, he will effectuate for us a charter for Palestine. But this is tied to one condition: the Jewish revolutionaries shall cease their struggle against the Russian government. If in 15 years from the time of the agreement Plehve does not effectuate the charter, they become free again to do what they consider necessary. "
Samuel Portnoy, Vladimir Medem, the life and soul of a legendary Jewish Socialist
, Ktav, 1979, pp. 295-98.
Quoted by Lenni Brenner, Zionism in the Age of the Dictators , Croom Helm, 1983, p. 15.
#C043 Report a problem