Quotation from David Ben Gurion “I don’t know what Arab will agree that Palestine should belong to the Jews” — June 1919
Addressing the Va'ad Zmani (temporary executive body of the Yishuv), asserting the incompatibility of Zionism with its Arab environment, while denying that the land is Arabic.
- Ben Gurion, David (1886-1973) ( 90 quotations )
- National (Zionist) interest first and foremost ( 29 quotations )
- A Palestinian people does exist ( 30 quotations )
- Strictly separate from the Palestinians ( 37 quotations )
- Never a Palestinian State! ( 45 quotations )
" Everybody sees a difficulty in the question of relations between Arabs and Jews. But not everybody sees that there is no solution to this question. No solution ! There is a gulf, and nothing can fill this gulf. It is possible to resolve the conflict between Jewish and Arabs interests [only] by sophistry. I don’t know what Arab will agree that Palestine should belong to the Jews – even if the Jews learn arabic. And we must recognize this situation. We, as a nation, want this country to be ours ; the Arabs, as a nation, want this country to be theirs. "
Caplan, N., 1978, Palestine Jewry and the Palestine question, 1917-1925 , p. 42, quoted by Benny Morris Victimes, Histoire revisitée du conflit arabo-sioniste, Complexes, 2003, p. 108.
#C082 Report a problem